Packed Public Meeting a Big Success
Many thanks to all those who came down to Defoe Road on Wednesday evening for what turned out to be a packed, and very productive meeting with around 150 people and lots of energy and enthusiasm.
The evening started with an introduction to the work of Hackney Unites from John and Jane. This was followed by an update from Jamie on the development proposal and the Stokey Local campaign and then Shilpa talked about a similar campaign against a Tesco development in Mill Road in Cambridge.
After the introductory talks, the session was opened out to the floor and a very interesting discussion followed. Points were made about subjects including:
- The people living in live/work units right on the site
- The Localism Bill which is currently working its way through parliament and which could offer some protection from unwanted development to communities
- The possibility of setting up a local community council
- The importance of protecting Abney Park Cemetery
- The role of local councillors in the planning process
- The need for a distinctive image and poster for the campaign
Afterwards the meeting broke into groups to discuss next steps for communications work, the planning process, assessing the environmental impacts and other areas, and out of that we now have yet more projects underway which will drive the campaign forwards.
If you want to get involved or have skills or time that would be of use to the campaign then please head over to the forum where you can see what’s going on and add your thoughts as well.